very cool people

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

fast unto death

My friends Will and Lauren are spending 6 months in India doing some amazing work. Lauren is sharing her amazing gifts working with kids with special needs at the Latika Roy Foundation, and Will's work as I understand it is connected to water issues with this environmental organization called PSI, the People's Science Institute.



I checked out the PSI site, and was inspired by the approach of its founder, Dr. G.D. Agrawal, of halting a massive hydro-power project that would have caused massive environmental damages to the region surrounding the Bhagirathi river. The doctor, twice, implemented a 'fast-unto-death' to get the attention of the Prime Minister to halt this damaging project. Amazingly, his work succeeded in its goal, as the project is off the boards. This got me considering my fast this Lent, and other friends' fasts I know of. Instead of letting it de-motivate me because mine isnt as "good", i'm choosing to be inspired. This man was willing to give up his life for something he believed in beyond himself. In cell the next 3 weeks for cell we are delving into the Temptations of Jesus in the Wilderness, and how we can respond here and now. I cant help but see a connection to Jesus' 40 day fast / vision quest in the desert.

No comments: