very cool people

Thursday, May 13, 2010

awesomeness 1 - OS House

I want to begin posting some things I would generally refer to as "awesomeness". I have a fodler where I keep these things and ideas, and I want to share them. Here is number 1:

I came across this organization today, called OS-House. I am really into how architecture and building can be tools for peacemaking at home and across the globe. Theyre often the opposite, but there is SO much potential for good its hard to get down about it. The OS House (short for Open Source House) is sponsoring a design competition for sustainable, affordable housing in Ghana, West Africa targeting low and middle income earners. Lots of buzzwords there to salivate over, but it seems like a lot of local knowledge, listening, and front end partnership were put into this. Lots of times these ideas have a real "saviour complex" attached to them, and you end up with 1920's international style modernism in the middle of the bush. Im hoping for something else here. We'll see what they come up with.



No comments: