very cool people

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

365 Days Of Trash: Kamikatsu Japan, a trashless existence#links

I follow this blog called SustainableDave. He is living with all the trash he creates for a year, and finding new ways to recycle, downcycle, and most importantly, to consume less, and choose his consumption with the knowledge of its future life and implications. I thought this piece he shared about this zero-waste town in Japan was cool....I could imagine us doing this at Circle of Hope in the basement.


365 Days Of Trash: Kamikatsu Japan, a trashless existence#links

Ive always been fascinated with waste streams, and especially in the past ten years, how to divert material from them for reuse, like in construction for instance. I like old things from some reason.....probably some irrational connection to an imagined past or something, but im working it out.

Ten years ago I hated recycling. And a bit of me still thinks it bullshit, but since working at Re:Vision Architecture, and being in charge of our recycling program here, the discipline of it has shined a bright white light (probably a compact fluourescent) on my consumption habits, many of which were unconsciously wasteful. Now Im into consuming less and making smarter choices and stuff like that....which is all a product of the wealthy society in which I participate, but its a start.

2 comments:

Joshua Grace said...

i imagine doing that in my friend's basement on Jefferson!

that was an inspiring video, 34 Categories To Freedom!

the lure of wealth said...

it is inspiring, but really, cant we just curb our consumption already? I think the incessant categorizing gets tiring and depressing......its the same old theology of efficiency saving us....if we just try hard enough. still want to do it though. maybe it will be a part of the Urban Sustainability Team at CoH