very cool people

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ashes time

Today marks the beginning of Lent, Ash Wednesday. Its a time to identify with the death of Jesus so that we can truly identify with the resurrection and life.....to let go so we can truly live. Being quarantined away for 40 days begins to make room, begins to carve out / stake out some space where God can come and in clean house. Sculpturally speaking it could be thought of as a subtractive process, making a negative, creating a void. We live in such an additive society so this is foreign thought to me. Im going with it by carving out some space at night so I can have the time in the morning to be still and silent for an hour before I eat breakfast and get ready for work, a small attempt at some regular spiritual discipline: listening. Going to sleep by 10pm so that I can wake by 6am may not seem profound, but its those 2 hours at night (10-12) and the ones fighting to awake have really robbed me of awareness over the years, I think. I could be wrong (and dramatic) but Im going to give it a shot for 40 days. Today was the start.

2 comments:

Joshua Grace said...

i love it

warfare mom said...

wow I love this......I have done something similiar.....its truly the dying to self concept......I had an opportunity just today and didn't follow it.....chose self .....all I can say is "grace and mercy" felt like my best friend and I hid there all day long...maybe I'll come out tomorrow